For events prior to November 2009 search our Events Archive here...Surfing Australia Event Archive Site
Australian Surf Festival 2012 – Australian Alaia Titles
Following on from the success of the Australian Alaia Titles in 2011, 2012 will once again see the return of the uber exciting Australian Alaia Titles.
This specialty division will be run within the Australian Surfmasters Titles. The competition period for this division will be:
• Thursday 23rd – Saturday 25th August, 2012
The Alaia division has specific surfboard requirements that must be adhered to by all competitors.
Board Length: (Australian Longboard Titles and Specialty Divisions only)
The traditional solid wooden alaia surfboard design can only be used. All alaia surf boards used in the event must be finless and of the minimum and maximum dimensions and bottom shape as stated below.
- Length: Minimum 5’6” to a Maximum of 7’6”
- Width must be a minimum of fifteen (15”) inches wide measured from the half-way point on the
- Nose width must be of a minimum of twelve (12”) inches wide, Six (6) inches down from the tip of
- Tail width must be of a minimum of fourteen and a half (14 ½”) inches wide, six (6) inches up from
the tip/s of the tail
- The bottom configurations allowable will include flat, vee, concaves and chine’s
- No hot curl bottoms or raised beads of resins will be allowed
- No chambers or hollows inside of the timber construction will be allowed, ALL Alaia surfboards will be of solid wood construction
- It is recommended that the traditional “bullet” shaped outlined be used with variations to the outline and different tails allowable
Please note the following board size and type requirements must be met for all Specialty Division competitors. All boards will be measured by the Beach Marshal and marked before all Round 1 heats.
Please note ALL Australian Surf Festival competitors must be holders of or eligible to hold an Australian passport. To ensure that ALL competitors are eligible to compete (as per the Rule Book) it is a requested requirement that ALL competitors submit either a photocopy of their Birth Certificate (showing birth place within Australia), current Australian Passport or Australian Citizenship Certificate before they will be allowed to surf.
Copies of these documents must be submitted by mail, email or fax to Beau Brenchley at Surfing Australia. If these documents cannot be supplied then the competitor will not be allowed to compete!
Surfing Australia (Attn: Beau Brenchley)
(07) 5599 5097
PO Box 928 Coolangatta QLD 4225