Note to Surfing SA members regarding Special Meeting 27th February 2012
Wednesday, 29 February 2012
Thank you to all those members who attended a special meeting last night (Monday 27 February) at the Seaford Hotel to discuss the outcome of the Kangaroo Island Surf and Music Festival (KISMF) and the plans for Surfing SA (SSA) in 2012. I appreciated the discussion between us all. We are a strong and passionate group and I know we all want the best for ourselves, our fellow members and for the young surfers coming into the competition surfing pathway. I think we all agreed that:
- we need to rebuild as quickly as possible now that the State Government has purchased the KISMF from SSA
- we need to focus on re-igniting the excitement of the State Titles through more focused management and realistic rewards/prizes
- we need to pay more attention to selecting a representative team for the Nationals
- we need to re-consider the location of the SSA office at Glenelg
- we need to make members aware of the General Manager's role and job specifications
- we need to re-schedule club delegates meetings monthly or every two months
- surf shops and SSA are to aim to work more closely together
- we agree the Executive Committee should consider a new constitution and board structure with a view to better risk management and governance.
In summary, the members are looking for more openness and transparency in the way SSA is managed and more focus on the 'grass roots' activities such as State Titles and National teams. We on the Executive Committee are in agreement with you and we look forward to getting on with plans for 2012. Expect to see the Plan of Events on the Web site very shortly.
Again, many thanks for joining us last night.