Surfing Australia recognises the importance of our vast coaching network and values the contributions made to our sport in the daily training environment. With the implementation of this program we seek to support and nurture our elite coaches to provide them with the necessary tools to continue to grow and learn. Ultimately the purpose of this Elite Coach Development Program is to develop a national network of self-aware and connected athlete centered coaches.
Who is it for?
The Surfing Australia Elite Coach Development Program is designed for Level 2 surf coaches who have the capacity and capability to deliver outstanding results for Australia over the next decade. Preference will be given to those coaches who have demonstrated an ability to work with World Class or potential World Class athletes. The program will also look to support the transition from athlete to coach by identifying retiring athletes who have a long term desire to become an elite surf coach. The program will support a maximum of 16 coaches with successful placements determined through an application and selection process.
The program will be facilitated by Nam Baldwin in collaboration with the High Performance Team at Surfing Australia with all sessions to be delivered at the Hurley Surfing Australia High Performance Centre. Nam Baldwin is an Elite Performance Coach and is the co-founder of the Equalize Training Company. With experience working with elite athletes, coaches, sporting organisations and big corporates, Nam brings a unique skill set and approach that will challenge and inspire.
The program will be delivered over one year via a series of face-to-face sessions, group work, project work, mentoring, and regular feedback and reflection.
May 19th & 20th, 2016
August 11th & 12th, 2016
November 10th & 11th, 2016
The program will seek to explore and develop coaches Emotional & Physiological Intelligence with the aim of improving health and happiness, making self-motivation achievable, and enhancing the ability of coaches to manage stress and resolve conflict with others.
By working on Emotional intelligence the program aims to give coaches the skills and tools to encourage, to listen, to educate and to confront different kinds of people, in different situations, appropriately.
Over the course of the year Six (6) key topics will be covered across the three sessions:
- Internal Dialogue
- Focus & Physiology
- Core Values
The success of the program will be dependent upon committed and dedicated coaches who are seeking to further their development and play an active coaching role in delivering international success for Australian surfing. Those wishing to be accepted to the program must be committed to:
- learning new ways to enhance their coaching
- being stretched and challenged
- being an active coach in the program, including mandatory attendance at all activities
- actively demonstrating and implementing the learning in their coaching
- Each application must include the following:
- a current Curriculum Vitae (maximum two pages)
- your coaching aspirations (one pager)
- a letter of support from your State Branch
- Applications will be consolidated and the final selection process will be undertaken by Surfing Australia’s selection panel
- Applications close on Friday 1st April 2016, coaches will be notified of the outcome of their application in early April 2016, with the first activity scheduled for the May 2016.
- Applications can be emailed to Chris Symington - General Manager of Sport Development & High Performance at email@example.com
Participants will be required to cover the cost of their travel to and from the HPC. All other costs associated with the program will be covered