The Surfing Australia Level 1 Surf Instructors course is the minimum qualification required to be a surf instructor in Australia.
This course covers the necessary theory components and sports specific practical requirements to operate as a surf coach / instructor in a surf school and club programs on Australian beaches. Participants are invited to attend the 2 day course (8.30am to 4.30pm) after which they will be required to complete all the necessary practical elements before becoming accredited. NCAS approved courses are recognised nationally and by some international affiliates of Surfing Australia's Licensed Surf school Network.
To obtain this accreditation, candidates must adhere to the following requirements:
- Full attendance at the two day course 8.30am to 4.30pm
- 20 hours practical surf coaching experience (after completing the course)
- Pass a basic surf skills assessment
- A current ‘Working With Children' check for the relevant state (ie Blue Card)
- A Provide First Aid Certificate (HLTAID003)
- A current Ocean Rescue Award (one of the below):
* Bronze proficiency: Surf Life Saving Association
* Surf Rescue Certificate: SLSA Community Award
* Ocean Rescue Award: Royal Lifesaving Society
* OSSCA - Australian Professional Ocean Lifeguard Association
Pre-Requisites Required to Sit the Course
* Competence in Surfing Skills and Surf Zone Survival Skills (NB: beginner surfers cannot be accredited)
* Good English language comprehension, reading and writing skills.
* A current Surfing Queensland Membership.
* Must be aged 16 years or older.
* Course participants MUST have their Queensland Blue Card or alternatively their Blue Card Application ‘Notice of Confirmation’. Either of these items MUST be presented to the Coaching Course Presenter upon arrival at the Course. Failure to do so will mean automatic refusal of entry to the Course, until such time as this document is obtained.
Applicants can apply for their Blue Card ticking the ‘paid employee’ option (not the ‘volunteer’ option), if seeking future ‘paid’ employment as a Coach. If ticking the ‘paid employee’ option, applicants have the choice of noting down their State Branch (Surfing Queensland), as the ‘employer’, if they are yet to secure employment with an affiliated Surfing Australia Surf School and until such time as they obtain an alternate employer at a later date.
The Blue Card Application and further information is available from the list of documents on the "About Coaching" page.
For more information, feel free to contact the Surfing Queensland Head Office on (07) 5520 1165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Must be a Surfing Queensland Member.
- This is a fully catered course with morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea provided. Please advise of any special dietary requirements PRIOR to the closing date of registrations.
- This Course involves a large practical component as well as theory, thus surfing gear including your board, is required to be brought on course days.