The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle is the biggest grassroots boardriders event in Australian surfing history. It will involve more than 100 of Australia’s best boardriders clubs in eight State qualifying rounds and will culminate in a two day National Final for 24 clubs at Newcastle Beach, NSW.
The series is officially sanctioned by the World Surf League (WSL) which allows Australian WSL World Tour surfers (Men & Women) the opportunity to represent their local boardriders club at respective State qualifying events and the National Final.
- The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle is an unprecedented event series involving over 60 of Australia’s Boardriders Clubs in eight State qualifying events and culminating in a National Final for 24 clubs across two days
- Major sponsors of the 2018/19 series include the naming rights partner nudie and supporting sponsors Oakley, Woolworths, Hyundai, Air Asia, Summer Bright Lager, Drinkwise, 2XP, Localsearch, WSL, mySURF.tv, Fox Sports, Newcastle City Council, Destination NSW and Surfing Australia
- National Final participating Boardriders Club (BRC) breakdown:
9 x NSW BRC’s (3 x NSW North BRC’s, 3 x NSW Central BRC’s 3 x NSW South BRC’s), 4 x QLD BRC’s, 1 x VIC BRC, 1 x WA BRC, 1 x SA BRC, 1 x TAS BRC, 1 x nudie Newcastle trials winner, 6 x Wildcard BRC’s by application
- The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle will comprise of a multifaceted format at each State qualifying event and the National Final; Open Men, Open Women, Master, Junior and Teams disciplines
- To win, clubs need to possess true depth of talent and the understanding of the different strategies that need to be applied to each different surfing format
- The nudie Australian Boardriders Battle has official World Surf League (WSL), sanctioning. Australian WSL World Championship Tour surfers (men and women) have the opportunity to represent their local Boardriders Club at respective State qualifying events and the National Final
- $24,000 prize money split between x 8 State events
- $82,000 prize money across the National Final with the winning boardriders taking home a huge $20,000
- The National Final will boast audience engagement featuring live onscreen coverage with replays
- The National Final will be broadcast live online and on Fox Sports. A 30 minute show along with eight short-form four minute content packages will engage audiences with the rich history of Australian boardriders clubs
HOW TO ENTER
Clubs can enter online at www.australianboardridersbattle.com or call respective State Branches. Entries open in August 1st, 2018.
State entries to the nudie Australian Boardriders Battle close 1 week prior to each State scheduled event. The entry fee will be $375 incl’ GST per club, payable to the State Branch.
Nominated club squad lists are to be sent to the State Branch a minimum of 2 days prior to each State qualifying event.
All competing clubs must be current and affiliated members of their Surfing Australia Member State Branch.
Only one competing team/squad can be nominated per club. A minimum of 6 members and a maximum of 10 competing members will make up the club squad.
Each club team/squad will consist of 1 Junior (male or female), 4 Opens (3 males & 1 female) and 1 Over 35 (male or female).
1 reserve per Open, Junior, Female and Master divisions will be allowed.
Each club must have a designated competing club captain, and a non-competing designated coach and or manager.
CLUB COMPETITOR ELIGIBILITY
Club competitors must be current and financial members of their respective club for the 2018 and 2019 surfing seasons.
A surfer can only compete for the one club in Regional and National battles.
Club competitors must be holders of an Australian passport, Australian birth certificate or hold current Australian citizenship documents.
Proof of all of the above will be on the onus of every competitor and can be requested by the Technical Committee/Director at any time prior, during, or after the specified event.
AGE GROUPS ARE DEFINED AND DETERMINED BY
Juniors cannot be, or turn 18 in the event series window (Aug 25th 2018 to Nat Final date needed TBC).
Masters must be 35 and over at the beginning of the event series window (August 25th 2018).
STATE BATTLE SEEDING
State events will be seeded as per previous State Australian Boardriders Battle events in 2017. If there are no possible seeding arrangements available, this will be seeded by a random draw or at the discretion of the State Branch.
WILDCARD APPLICATION & CRITERIA
The six National Final Wildcard Boardriders Club positions will be determined by the Surfing Australia selection panel on application. The wildcard applications must be made prior to the 18th January, 2019.
Application forms can be filled out and returned to Surfing Australia PO BOX 1613 Kingscliff, NSW 2487 or by email email@example.com
Each club application will be reviewed under the following guidelines and results:
1) Club results in the 2013/14/15/16/17/18 ABB series
2) Club results in any other State or National interclub events in 2017/18.
3) Individual club surfer/athlete results for 2017/18:
WSL World Tour results
WSL Star/Qualifying Tour results
ISA World Championship event results
Surfing Australia National Title results
Please note: The surfers/athletes that are documented as part of the clubs Wildcard application must be competing for the club in the nudie Australian Boardriders Battle National Final. Failure to fulfil these Wildcard obligations can result in your wildcard being revoked at the 2019 National Final.
The six successful wildcard clubs will be notified by the Wednesday 23rd of January, 2019.
Decisions made by the selection panel for the invited wildcard positions for the 2019 nudie Australian Boardriders National Final are final, there is no right of appeal.
The selected wildcard clubs will be given the 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd seeds into the National Final.
Wildcard application forms are included in the back of the manual.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Surfing Australia and all of our partners want to encourage all of the Boardriders Clubs to compete in a professional manner, and we require your support in providing a safe, on-beach alcohol and smoke free environment at the State and National events.
Abide by the rules and respect the decision of the officials, making all appeals through the formal process and respecting the final decision
Refrain from any behaviour that may bring Surfing Australia, affiliated State branches or clubs into disrepute
Respect the rights, dignity and worth of fellow surfers, clubs, coaches, officials and spectators
Be fair, considerate and honest in your dealings with others
Be professional in, and accept responsibility for, your actions
Conduct yourself in a professional manner relating to language, temper and punctuality
Be aware of, and maintain an uncompromising adhesion to, Surfing Australia’s standards, rules, regulations and policies
Refrain from any form of harassment of fellow surfers, clubs, coaches, officials and spectators
Care for and respect the equipment provided to you from your club or Surfing Australia and its affiliated State branches
Be frank and honest with your coach concerning illness and injury while competing
Maintain a high personal behaviour standard at all times – Surfing Australia does not tolerate acts of aggression!
No conflicting sponsor branding on any club items is allowed to be brought into event area including but not limited to tents and club signage
No alcohol is to be brought into the on-beach event area of any State event or the National Final
All areas of the event sites are alcohol and smoke-free unless licensed
No alcohol at presentation ceremonies on-beach
Do not hand winners any alcoholic drinks in celebrations on-beach
Understand the repercussions if you breach, or are aware of any breaches, of this code of behaviour
Any breaches of the above will result in the disqualification of the surfer and or club
STATE QUALIFYING SCHEDULE
Gold Coast, QLD - August 25, 2018
Kiama, NSW - Sept 15, 2018
North Narrabeen, NSW - Sept 22, 2018
Coffs Harbour, NSW - Oct 6, 2018
Trigg, WA - Oct 27, 2018
Fleurieu Peninsula, SA - Nov 10, 2018
Phillip Island, VIC - Nov 24, 2018
Clifton Beach, TAS - Dec 15, 2018
STATE QUALIFYING EVENTS PRIZE MONEY
For more information please visit - www.australianboardridersbattle.com
This event requires a current state membership.